Thursday, June 18, 2009

Welcome to the Funny Farm!

I have never blogged before, but it looked like fun! I have friends who blog and feeling quite inspired, I thought I would give it a go! I might be crazy, I might be just fine, but either way, here we go - welcome to the funny farm!

My plan is to blog about what I learn while making our new "old" farm NEW again! I will try to describe experiences in renovating our old farm house and what it is like for a city girl to try her hand and raising animals, veggies, kids and weeds!

A little background so you'll know where I'm coming from. Twenty years ago, my very southern husband married a military-raised northern girl. Fortunately for me, he LOVES the north! The time came when we knew it was time to go back home. My home. By Providence, he quickly found a job and we put our house in the city on the market. We packed up and headed NORTH. Eventually the old house sold and eventually we found just the right place to plant some roots - literally! Again, by Providence we bought an old chicken farm, that had once been a dairy farm, that has not been in operation for quite a number of years. It is 45 acres, mostly wooded with a very large farm house. It had everything on our want list! Providence again!

We moved into our new home in October of 2008, just in time to try out our woodstoves. Having lived in the south all my married life and most of my youth, the opportunity to operate a woodstove, let alone three of them, had RARELY arrisen. I would now get the chance to keep this southern acclimated body to a temp in which I become accustomed. NOPE! I found that it is not as easy as it looks. It took me about three months to get the hang of it. Fortunately for me, there was still PLENTY of winter left to master this newly acquired skill.

Once spring hit, the desire to grow things became overwhelming. Because we moved from the city and had the yard the size of a postage stamp, we had no need of a lawn cutting apparatus bigger than a weed whacker and a push mower. Therefore, I began growing WEEDS. LOTS of them! I discovered that I am great at growing weeds.

So far, I have lots of "deck" flowers. That is flowers on my "deck" - go figure! I have NOTHING in my garden - save for the weeds.

My experience with animals, since having children 15 years ago, is with several batches of plastic fish and some sea-monkeys. Until recently the sea-monkeys were doing great, but they somehow have met their untimely demise. Well, I needed to move on to bigger and better things. At least, better-suited for a farm. I ordered chickens. We have 12 layers and 6 broilers on order and they should be arriving by Friday.

So truly begins the farm life for me. I guess I am now commited, happily of course! I can't wait to get started....

Blessings!

1 comment:

  1. Cathy, what fun! I can't wait to meander over your property with you and listen to your dreams for this and that. I like the new blog! A great way to let everyone be informed all at once. Love you! Caroline

    ReplyDelete