Sunday, June 21, 2009

A very Expensive FREE sink!




There's no such thing as a FREE puppy - or sink! This beautiful mint-green pedestal sink was a lovely item I picked up for FREE from a Freecycler. My wonderful Hubby said, "I'll just replace the sink tonight and we can slowly work on the rest of the bathroom later."



This is what the original bathroom looks like. It was very small and very stinky. The old vanity was taking up so much room and we thought it was the source of the foul smell.



Once the sink came out, he discovered the floor was rotten. Then the walls, then the sub-floor! He got so excited about finding all that mold and rot that he stayed up all night pulling stuff out! We are now down to studs on the walls and exposed joists under the sub-floor. Two of the four joists are missing big sections so there is no support! It's amazing we never fell right through!



This is the gutted bathroom. You can see the light on the bottom right of the picture....that is the basement under the bathroom!


We knew when we bought our old farmhouse that things would need replacing/remodeling/renewing. I was hoping that we could ease into the bigger projects!

Well, my FREE sink is going to cost us about $750.00! Let's just hope the kids don't come home with a free puppy any time soon!

4 comments:

  1. It's working now!

    Did you ever find your camera? I don't mind you posting pics of J as long as you refer to him as J and don't say where exactly we are. I always use "Up North" for our location.

    How do you feel about pics of your kids being on your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have I got a site for you to peruse:

    www.retrorenovation.com

    It is SO fun looking through all her posts and pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still no camera! I do have hope that it will turn up, though.....

    I liked how you post about your locale and kiddo and family and thought I would do the same - thanks for permission to use pix w/ J. Please tell him we are thinking of him! Have an excellent week! I'll check out the link you sent.

    ReplyDelete