Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Even Sappier Than Before!

As posted earlier, I love the Maple Sap Run season! I am a bit discouraged this year because the sap started so early that we missed some of it. The weather has not been optimal for consistent running.

While at our local Farm Store, I inquired about others reporting the success of the maple season. I learned that everyone seems to be experiencing the same results. I actually found this somewhat encouraging, only because I didn't feel like such a complete failure! Two VERY IMPORTANT tidbits of info came out of that conversation that is as valuable as the maple run this year, though.

1. Put in your taps the weekend before Valentine's Day for our area. That way, no matter when the season actually starts, we won't miss any of it!

2. When we find a bucketful of frozen sap, don't bother to boil it down. Throw out the ice chunk! This really perplexed me! All the frozen liquid is nearly pure water - the very stuff that we boil out of it! All the good sweet sugary content does not freeze and is at the bottom. I think I heard the Angels singing this fact out loud at that moment!

I knew that pure maple syrup won't freeze, but never really thought about the sap.

I thought we were ready this year.....next year we will be even "readyier"

No comments:

Post a Comment