Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Hobos, Veggies, and Trink


My littlest daughter, Trink, has a heart for the ministry. Trink is six. She is our family's cheerleader and biggest snuggler and absolutely loves to laugh! All of this information is background for a couple of funny things I wanted to share. It is based on "Kids say the darnedest things!" theory.

Months ago, my older children began discussion on Hobos. Being homeschoolers, we dove right it to discover the origin of the term Hobo. We learned that there are many theories of the origin, also they had their own community, culture and even language! While studying, Trink realized that Hobos didn't have a home of their own. Of course the rest of the family took that point for granted, but it gave her a tremendous idea.

Our family had been in deep discussion over what our farm would be, what should we raise or sell or grow, etc. Trink KNEW that she had solved two problems with her marvelous idea. We should have a HOBO Farm! They could just set up tents in our fields and we would take care of them! Problem solved!

I mentioned that Trink loves to laugh. In our family, when we are tickling, it is called "getting out your go-guffles" which generally live and breed in one's armpits. The term was coined by my great-grandfather. Trink truly enjoys having her go-guffles removed. They must be removed regularly in order to prevent an over-abundance of them. During a recent "removal" Trink was evidently thinking of her future. She announced quite out-of-the-blue that "You know, Muma, when I get married......." What? When you get married, what??...I thought. "You will have to bring the vegetables!"

Vegetables???!! I'm confused. It turned out that she could not bear the thought that once she was married, I could no longer get out her go-guffles, and she just couldn't bring herself to tell me!

I didn't bother to hide my laugh!

No comments:

Post a Comment